The Literature Topic Take a look at offers you the chance to spotlight your strengths in studying and decoding literary texts from quite a lot of historic intervals and genres. Taking the check additionally offers you the chance to showcase your pursuits and improve your school software.
Provided in August, October, November, December, Could, and June.
Take a look at Fundamentals
Scoring, Timing, Variety of Questions
|200-800||60||~60 (A number of Alternative)|
Getting Prepared for the Take a look at
- Information of primary literary terminology, corresponding to irony, stanza, picture, tone, alliteration, and speaker (extremely specialised phrases usually are not coated).
- Understanding of the next literary ideas:
- General that means, together with impact and theme
- Kind, together with construction, style, and group
- Use of language, together with phrase alternative, imagery and metaphor
- Meanings and connotations of particular phrases in context
- Narrative voice, together with tone and perspective
- Characterization in narrative and dramatic alternatives
- 3–4 years of literary research on the college-preparatory degree
- Shut, vital studying in English and American literature from quite a lot of historic intervals and genres
- Studying of full novels and performs — not simply excerpts
- Impartial, vital studying of poetry, prose, and drama
Three units of classifications describe the alternatives on the Literature Topic Take a look at.
|Supply of Questions||Approximate % of Take a look at|
Written by authors from the US
Written by British authors
|Different literature written in English
Previous checks have included writers from India, Eire, Canada, and the Caribbean
|Chronology||Approximate % of Take a look at|
|Renaissance and seventeenth century||30%|
|18th and nineteenth centuries||30%|
|Style||Approximate % of Take a look at|
Primarily excerpts from fiction and essays
Primarily whole poems, though some alternatives are excerpted from longer works
|Drama and different||0–10%|
Obtain the SAT Subject Tests Student Guide (.pdf/6.3MB) for extra info on the matters.
Observe on-line totally free:
Obtain totally free:
Purchase on the bookstore:
The Official Examine Information for All SAT Topic Checks, Second Version
Get the one research information out there for all 20 SAT Topic Checks.
- 20 full-length, beforehand administered Topic Checks
- New, detailed reply explanations for all check questions
- Essentially the most up-to-date suggestions and approaches on deciding on which checks to take, the most effective time to take the checks, and easy methods to greatest be prepared for check day
- The most recent variations of the directions, background questions and reply sheet
- Detailed descriptions of each Topic Take a look at, together with matters coated and really helpful course work
- Two audio CDs for all six Language with Listening Checks
Extra Issues to Know
There are six to eight units of questions on the check, every based mostly on a unique literary textual content.
Every choice is adopted by a date (normally of first publication). Questions don’t ask concerning the historic background of the content material, however it’s possible you’ll discover the date useful when orienting your self to the choice.
Every set of questions addresses some options of the literary choice that could be distinctive and even distinctive. For instance, if a poem presents a posh studying activity, the set may embody some questions that concentrate on the that means of particular phrases or strains to be able to measure your potential to learn and perceive the poem precisely.
Please notice that this check displays what is usually taught in highschool. Resulting from variations in highschool lessons, it’s possible that the majority college students will discover questions on matters they’re not aware of. That is nothing to fret about. You shouldn’t have to get each query right to obtain the very best rating (800) for the check. Many college students do nicely regardless of not having studied each subject coated.