Useful suggestions for gardening within the Triangle in January and February.
• Reduce decorative grasses to 6-8 inches. Divide massive clumps and replant.
• Put together your backyard for roses, being cautious to permit for good drainage and correct soil amending. Plant bare-root roses in February.
• Reduce flowering vines.
• Shear again liriope to make room for brand spanking new progress.
• Power bulbs indoors like paperwhite narcissus, hyacinths and tulips to brighten your private home in winter.
• It’s time to order after which begin your flower seeds indoors. Germination days are listed on the seed packet. You don’t need to begin them too early. Depend backwards the variety of germination days out of your final anticipated frost date to know when you possibly can transplant the seedlings outdoor.
• Apply a teaspoon of 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 time-release fertilizer per sq. foot to spring-flowering bulbs when the shoots are 2 to three inches tall.
• Hold on to your amaryllis. You may plant it outdoor in spring.
Fruits and Greens
• Have your soil examined by your native county extension workplace.
• Put together the vegetable backyard—loosen the soil, add natural matter, browse seed catalogs
• Begin your greens from seed and get a bounce on spring gardening.
• Plant chilly hardy vegetable vegetation like sugar snap peas and onion units.
• Plant dormant asparagus crowns in an organic-rich mattress in February.
• Flip over the compost pile.
• Fertilize fescue lawns in February with one pound of nitrogen per 1,000 sq. toes.
• Look ahead to cool season weeds—chickweed, bushy bittercress, henbit—and deal with by elimination or post-emergent herbicide (about 40-degrees).
• Sharpen garden mower blade, restore and exchange damaged instruments and energy gear earlier than spring.
• If you wish to change your garden to a heat season grass, use this time to analysis the choices greatest in your yard.
• Tormented by Japanese stilt grass? February is the time so as to add a pre-emergent herbicide to the affected areas within the panorama and pure areas of your yard.
Bushes and Shrubs
• Clear up camellia blooms to maintain from spreading camellia blight.
• Prune woody ornamentals like hydrangea and butterfly bush that bloom in summer season.
• Survey timber and shrubs for breakage from winter climate and prune broken space.
• Maintain evergreens and younger vegetation watered throughout dry climate.
• Add mulch round timber and shrubs. However don’t make volcano results, hold the mulch 3-6 inches away from the trunk.
• Mid- to late-February is the time to prune most timber, shrubs and woody ornamentals, apart from people who bloom in spring. Prune these after they bloom.
• If the bottom isn’t frozen, you possibly can plant container-grown and balled and burlaped timber and shrubs. Ensure that to water these.
• Don’t fertilize shrubs till you see some buds emerge on the plant.
• Apply dormant oil on fruit timber and roses when you had mealy bugs, aphids, scale or mites final yr.
• Verify your houseplants for bugs and root rot from overwatering in winter. Fungus gnats are an indication of overwatering. Use oil spray or insecticidal cleaning soap on the soil and let the plant dry out utterly to assist kill the gnats. If attainable, repot the plant into contemporary potting soil and sterilize the pot. Keep in mind to mud your vegetation.
• Animal harm happens year-round. Proceed spraying deer and different animal repellents when you accomplish that.
For an entire checklist of backyard upkeep actions, go to the NC Cooperative Extension website at www.ces.ncsu.edu.
For garden care go to the NC State Turf Information at www.turffiles.ncsu.edu.