The course goal of English 101 is to have you ever look at distinguished literary intervals and analyze literary idea. You’ll focus the Renaissance, Romantic, and Restoration intervals, and works by Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dickens, Joyce, and extra.
Your grade for this course might be calculated out of 300 factors. The minimal rating required to go and earn actual faculty credit score for this course is 210 factors, or an total course grade of 70%. The desk under exhibits the assignments you could full and the way they’re going to be included into the general grade.
|Proctored Last Examination||100|
Quizzes are supposed to take a look at your comprehension of every lesson as you progress by way of the course. This is a breakdown of how you may be graded on quizzes and the way they’re going to issue into your closing rating:
- You’ll have 3 makes an attempt to take every quiz for a rating.
- The best rating of your first 3 makes an attempt might be recorded as your rating for every quiz.
- Once you’ve accomplished the course, the very best scores out of your first 3 makes an attempt at every quiz might be averaged collectively and weighed in opposition to the overall potential factors for quizzes. As an example, in case your common quiz rating is 85%, you will obtain 85 out of 100 potential factors for quizzes.
- After your preliminary 3 makes an attempt, you may take a quiz for follow as many instances as you want.
- You will want to go every quiz with a rating of a minimum of 80% to earn course progress for the lesson. Nonetheless, it isn’t essential to earn 80% throughout the first three quiz makes an attempt.
Assignments are supposed to evaluate your software, evaluation, and important pondering abilities in relation to the ideas you study within the course. Two assignments are required for this course. You’ll be able to entry them here.
- All task scores will whole as much as 100.
- Your task(s) might be graded by a Research.com teacher.
- The trainer will present a graded rubric for you together with suggestions on what you probably did effectively and what may very well be improved.
- In case you are unhappy together with your rating, it is possible for you to to revise and resubmit your task(s) twice. You might be free to resubmit an task inside two weeks of your most up-to-date examination try or at any level you probably have an energetic faculty accelerator membership.
Proctored Last Examination
The proctored closing examination is a cumulative take a look at designed to make sure that you have mastered the fabric within the course.
- You will earn factors equal to the share grade you obtain in your proctored closing. (So should you earn 90% on the ultimate, that is 90 factors towards your closing grade.)
- If you happen to’re unhappy together with your rating on the examination, you will be eligible to retake the examination after a 3-day ready interval.
- You’ll be able to solely retake the examination twice, so you should definitely use your examine information and absolutely put together your self earlier than you’re taking the examination once more.
Gadgets Allowed on Research.com Proctored Examination for English 101:
- One sheet of clean scratch paper
- Pen or pencil
Gadgets NOT Allowed on Research.com Proctored Examination for English 101:
- Workplace packages, net browsers, or any packages aside from Software program Safe (together with Research.com classes)
- Textbooks (digital or bodily)
- Cell phones, headphones, audio system, TVs, or radios
- Notebooks or notes
- Any calculators
Upon completion of this course, it is possible for you to to:
- Examine and distinction poetry and prose, and establish varied literary gadgets equivalent to rhyme and magical realism.
- Break down Outdated and Center English literature to find the emergence of style, vernacular, and body narratives.
- Display how the themes, plot, and characters of the Renaissance in English literature form up to date literature.
- Dissect main works from the seventeenth and 18th century to grasp their impact on society by way of faith, satire, and romance.
- Survey the Romantic interval by way of poetry and prose to interrupt down the themes of emotion, nature, and wonder.
- Level out the consequences of Victorian literature on social and sophistication points.
- Consider completely different themes from assorted English Literature readings.
- Consider Flip-of-the-Century literature to tell apart how themes of worry, self-importance, and oppression join to every writer’s private wrestle.
- Analyze Modernist literature and talk about trendy literary gadgets equivalent to stream of consciousness and nonlinear plot traces.
- Take into account the impact of criticism and nonfiction in English literature.
There are not any conditions for this course.
English 101 consists of brief video classes which can be organized into topical chapters. Every video is roughly 5-10 minutes in size and comes with a fast quiz that can assist you measure your studying. The course is totally self-paced. Watch classes in your schedule every time and wherever you need.
On the finish of every chapter, you may full a chapter take a look at to see should you’re prepared to maneuver on or have some materials to overview. As soon as you have accomplished the complete course, take the follow take a look at and use the examine instruments within the course to arrange for the proctored closing examination. It’s possible you’ll take the proctored closing examination every time you’re prepared.
Incomes Credit score
This course has been evaluated and beneficial by each ACE and NCCRS for 3 semester hours within the decrease division baccalaureate diploma class. To use for switch credit score, comply with these steps:
- If you have already got a faculty in thoughts, test with the registrar to see if the college will grant credit score for programs beneficial by both ACE or NCCRS.
- Full English 101 by watching video classes and taking brief quizzes.
- Take the credit-granting English 101 examination on our website.
- Request a transcript to be despatched to the accredited faculty of your alternative!
- Try this page for extra data on how one can switch your credit score.
|Literary Phrases and Evaluation||Be taught in regards to the literary intervals and literary idea. Research the best way to analyze literature and a few test-taking methods.|
|Outdated and Center English Literature||Look at medieval literature, together with well-known items like Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales.|
|The Renaissance in English Literature||Discover out about Renaissance literature with a take a look at Shakespeare and a few of his well-known work.|
|seventeenth and 18th Century English Literature||Check out John Bunyan, John Milton, Alexander Pope, Jonathan Swift, Daniel Defoe, Samuel Richardson and Ann Radcliffe. Additionally study Restoration comedy.|
|Romantic Prose in English Literature||Discover romantic prose by way of work by Mary Shelley, the Brontë sisters and Jane Austen.|
|Romantic Poetry in English Literature||Uncover Romantic poetry. Study Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Lord Byron and Percy Shelley, amongst others.|
|Victorian Literature||Research work by Dickens, George Eliot, Robert Browning, Alfred Lord Tennyson and Gerard Manley Hopkins.|
|Flip-of-the-Century Literature||Look at writing from Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, Joseph Conrad, W.B. Yeats and E.M. Forster.|
|Modernism in English Literature||Study T.S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, D.H. Lawrence and different modernists.|
|Nonfiction in English Literature||Check out politics, Victorian thought and utilitarianism in literature.|
|Analyzing English Literature||Critique differing types and types of literature, together with poetry, fiction and performs. Develop evaluation abilities to discover traits of literary tone, perform and symbolism.|